I made up this simple recipe when I discovered polenta. I had no idea what polenta was and how easy it is to use and yet so nutritious. Polenta is coarsely ground yellow cornmeal and is a staple of Northern Italy. Its not as popular as pasta for sure but it is becoming very popular because of its high nutritional value. It is a complex carbohydrate and it has a neutral flavor profile that makes it simple to adapt to your personal palate.
I am using precooked polenta for this recipe. Look for precooked polenta logs in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Polenta granules can also be used .They have to be cooked similar to an oatmeal. Use any salsa of your choice, making it as hot as you want. This is a layered dish and can be quite versatile.
Preparation time- 20 Minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
1 log of polenta( 18 oz.)- I have used the sundried tomato garlic flavor for this recipe, cut into ¼ inch slices
2 cups salsa
1 packet of white mushrooms, chopped
2 cups frozen corn
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, cut into small pieces
1 teaspoon garlic paste
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning
1 cup non dairy cheese
Salt/ Pepper to taste
1. In a heated non stick pan sauté the onions for 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and half of the salsa and continue cooking till onions are soft.
3. Add the mushrooms, corn , celery, cumin powder, chilli powder , Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Place the polenta in the bottom of a 9 by 9 inch baking dish.
6. Pour the remaining salsa so as to cover and soak the polenta slices.
7. Now spoon the cooked mixture over the polenta salsa base.
8. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
This is a wonderful dish to make when you have guests. I have modified it to add a layer of precooked sliced eggplant or frozen mixed vegetables or frozen spinach.
You can use it for any recipe as a substitute for pasta or as a versatile alternative to bread or rice.
Serve it with just a tossed salad . You don’t need anything else as it has grain and vegetables to make it a one-dish meal.