Vegetable Jalfrezi ( Stir fry)
This is a favorite curry among all Indian vegetarian recipes because of the wonderful medley of vegetables and spices . This is a tasty, sweet and sour, stir fry dish which is colorful and appetizing and a restaurant favorite. I will show you an easy way to make this and its sure to earn you some brownie points!
Make sure you have all the spices you need including garam masala powder. Garam masala is a mixture of spices as shown in the picture. They are roasted and ground to a powder form.It’s a must-have in Indian cooking.
Preparation time- 15 minutes
Cooking time- 15 minutes
2-3 small potatoes
2 small onions, sliced
½ green bell pepper, seeded and cut into long 1 inch pieces
2 cups of mixed vegetables, cut into 1 inch pieces ( beans, carrots, cauliflower)
1 15 oz can of tomato puree
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 coriander powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chilli powder
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon ginger paste or 1 inch piece of ginger grated
1 teaspoon garam masala( available in an Indian grocery store or the International section of a regular store)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro , chopped
1. Boil the potatoes in water. Remove the skin and cut into 1 inch pieces.
2. Steam the carrots, beans and cauliflower till they are slightly cooked.
3. Heat a non stick pan and roast the cumin seeds for a minute. Add vinegar and 2 tablespoons of water and cook till slightly reduced.
4. Add the tomato puree and ketchup and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Now add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger, potatoes, onion and bell peppers and continue to cook for 2 -3 minutes, adding about a cup of water to form a thick gravy.
6. Add the carrot, beans and cauliflower and toss gently to mix.
7. Sprinkle the garam masala powder and garnish with cilantro.
This delicious mix of vegetables goes well with plain brown rice or with Indian breads like roti or naan. These are easily available in any Indian store. I get them here at my local grocery store too.
You can even have whole wheat tortillas with this.