Turnips are cruciferous root vegetables which have an abundance of vitamins and amino acids.
Their sweet and smoky flavor can be enhanced with some aromatic spices as in this flavorful dish with greens.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
4-5 small turnips (about 1.8 lbs)
2 cups of any greens (like kale, Swiss chard, collard greens)
½ onion, sliced
½ teaspoon garlic paste
½ teaspoon ginger paste
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ cup water
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (white)
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional)
Juice of 1 lemon/ lime
Salt to taste
1. Cut the turnips into big pieces and chop up the greens.
2. Sauté the onions in a heated non stick pan and add the garlic and ginger pastes.
3. After about 2 minutes add the cumin seeds. Stir in the cumin and add some water to prevent any sticking.
4. Add the cut up turnip and greens and as the greens start to wilt add the salt, sesame seeds and nutritional yeast.
5. The turnips will cook in 5 minutes.
6. Add the lemon juice.