Moroccan style stew
This is a very easy recipe which I make very often and is always a hit. It’s one of those that cannot go wrong. The combination of vegetables and spices give this stew a subtle Moroccan flavor. It will taste delicious even the next day as the vegetables get soaked with all the delectable flavors.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time-:30 minutes
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1inch pieces
½ red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 small zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups of spinach, chopped
1 cup chick peas, cooked (or 1 15 oz can of beans which are precooked)
1 stalk of celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 inch piece of ginger grated or 1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 inch piece of cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
3 cups of vegetable stock or water
10-12 fresh mint leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Heat the vegetable stock or water in a deep saucepan and bring it to a boil.
2. Put the cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon in a spice pouch or muslin cloth and drop it into the boiling water.
3. Add the chickpeas, potatoes, carrots, celery, ginger, cumin and chili powder and cook on medium heat till the mixture starts to boil.
4. Lower the heat, cover and cook till the vegetables are cooked.
5. Now add the peppers, zucchini and spinach and cook for 3 more minute.
6. Remove the spice bundle and discard it.
7. Season with salt and pepper, add the lemon juice and garnish with mint leaves.